Festival of Science 2016.
(Lidija Getto, prof.univ.spec.)
This year’s Festival of Science was held from April 18 to 23, 2016, in about 20 cities in Croatia. Its main theme was Science and art. However, the participants of the Festival of Science presented other topics interesting for broader audiences. Those were several important anniversaries: 160th anniversary of the birth of Nikola Tesla, 100th anniversary of Albert Einstein’s Theory of Relativity, 400th anniversary of the birth of William Shakespeare.
The Festival of Science has been organized in cooperation with British Council continuously since 2003 and sponsored by the Ministry of Sciences, Education and Sports. Main theme of each Festival is determined at a national level, it is universal in nature and fits in all fields of science. Water, air, waves, sun are some of the main themes from previous years. During the event, which aims to bring science to the public, scientists and students contribute to the popularization of science and motivate young people to do research and gain new skills through popular lectures, workshops, discussions, exhibitions and other events.
Osijek is one of many cities in Croatia in which the Festival was held for the fourteenth time. Participants compare the Festival to the stage where scientists and students present current topics, presenting both science and scientific achievements in a popular and engaging manner.
Figures show that each year there is an increased number of activities at the University of Osijek. This year, scientists and students of the University of Osijek have prepared activities at several locations and in cooperation with seven primary schools in Osijek, Otok, Valpovo and kindergartens and high schools in Osijek, Slavonski Brod, Požega and Valpovo.
Festival activities at the University of Osijek, 2014 – 2016
To the great satisfaction of all the participants and organizers of the Festival of Science in Osijek, this year almost 500 participants have prepared 218 activities, of which 83 lectures, 62 workshops, 5 exhibitions, and 55 posters. Traditionally, the Faculty of Agriculture organized its Open Day. Worth mentioning are traditional partner institutions, such as: the Museum of Fine Arts, Dance Club Broadway and the Gloria Maris Association.
Festival activities at the University of Osijek, 2016
|Faculty of Agriculture||12||11||1||29||4||57|
|Faculty of Civil Engineering||3||3|
|Faculty of Electrical Engineering||3||1||4|
|Faculty of Food Technology||4||2||2||1||9|
|Mechanical Engineering Faculty||1||1||4||6|
|Faculty of Medicine||11||13||1||3||1||29|
|Department of Biology||3||1||4|
|Department of Mathematics||3||3|
|Department of Physics||1|
|Department of Chemistry||1||1||4||6|
|HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES|
|Faculty of Economics||27||2||1||4||34|
|Faculty of Education||4||9||1||2||16|
|Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences||6||9||3||2||20|
|Faculty of Law||3||2||5|
|Department of Culturology||4||1||1||1||7|
|Academy of Arts||2||3||2||7|
Organizing Committee of the Festival of Science of the University of Osijek
- President of the Committe: Prof. Rudolf Scitovski
- Coordinator for the University of Osijek: Lidija Getto, AMES
- Prof. Zvonko Antunović (Faculty of Agriculture)
- Assist. Prof. Tihana Marček (Faculty of Food Technology)
- Prof. Art. Davor Bobić (Academy of Arts)
- Assoc. Prof. Irella Bogut (Faculty of Education)
- Prof. Ines Drenjančević (Faculty of Medicine)
- Dario Ferić, MEcon (Rectorate)
- Ljerka Jukić Matić, PhD (Department of Mathematics)
- Assoc. Prof. Igor Đerđ, PhD (Department of Chemistry)
- Prof. Josip Mesarić, (Faculty of Economics)
- Assoc. Prof. Marija Omazić (Faculty of Humanities and Social Scienceas)
- Assist. Prof. Željko Pavić (Department of Culturology)
- Assist. Prof. Igor Lukačević (Department of Physics)
- Prof. Snježana Rimac Drlje (Faculty of Electrical Engineering)
- Assist. Prof. Ivana Miličević (Faculty of Civil Engineering)
- Prof. Antun Stoić (Faculty of Mechanical Engineering in Slavonski Brod)
- Assist. Prof. Šimo Šokčević (Catholic Faculty of Theology)
- Assist. Prof. Ivna Štolfa (Department of Biology)
- Prof. Ninoslav Truhar (Department of Mathematics)
- Assist. Prof. Nikol Žiha (Faculty of Law)